September 5, 2009

In my arsenal

I've blogged about them before but ohmygod, I love these things:


Dr. Praeger's Tex Mex Veggie Burgers
Ingredients: Carrots, Black Beans, Onions, String Beans, Corn, Zucchini, Soybeans, Oat Bran, Peas, Red Pepper, Spinach, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Broccoli, Textured Soy Flour, Oat Fiber, Arrowroot, Jalepeno Peppers, Chili Powder, Garlic, Corn Meal, Corn Starch, Cilantro, Salt, Parsley, Black Pepper, All Natural Vegetable Gum.


I know it's engineered food but since you can actually SEE the whole soy beans and peas and broccoli in the patties it can't be bad. Plus, there are only 120 calories per patty. THAT'S IT.

I eat them bunless with tomatoes and mustard. Sometimes I wrap them in a lettuce leaf too.

7 comments:

R. said...

have you tried the california ones? they're aaaamazing. I'm obsessed and must try the texmex ones.

regardez moi said...

omg, i love these too! i've had the california ones. time to go to trader joe's and get some...it's been a while.

Kitty said...

oh. i'm so glad to have found you.

*cries*

phishez said...

Hummm. How many carbs? My trainer's taken me off carbs and its fucking ricotta and celery for the next 2 weeks.

Shauna said...

I so so so hate to have to tell you this, but there's a class action lawsuit against this company for false nutritional stats. Fuckers: www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS232357+29-Jan-2009+PRN20090129
"(a) The packaging for Dr. Praeger's Veggie Burgers states that the products contained 4 grams of fat and 92 calories per serving, when in fact, Dr. Praeger's Veggie Burgers contained nearly 9 grams of fat and almost 160 calories per serving."

JJ said...

Here's the bad news: I am not part of the class because I only started buying these suckers back in May 2009. The class action is for purchases no more recent than 2007 and I was pretty much tits-deep in peanut butter cups in 2007.

Tragic. Someone should pay me for purchasing these veggie burgers.

Joseph said...

I've never had these but if those ingredients are right you're looking pretty good for a healthy meal. There doesn't seem to be any artificial flavours or colours or any preservatives.

How does reading the fat/calorie/carb content actually help you when your food is loaded with chemicals? (rhetorical)

Stick to natural foods and you'll be fine. BTW artificial additives and preservatives are extremely harmful to the growth of children. If you don't know what the ingredient is or it sounds like a chemical then it's probably not good for growth.

As for the carb person, stay away from breads (obvious) and fruits (including tomato, carrots, and corn), and you should be able to eat anything else you want. Just please don't let Atkins death be in vain, eat healthy and in moderation. Your body requires the simple sugars in fruit to function properly. An apple a day keeps the doctor away!