August 31, 2009

Was this food made by assholes?

I had an epiphany recently that my approach to shedding my fleshy ass has always been about, you know, minimum effort required. Or about stupid food ideas like Atkins. Atkins works, there is no doubt. It works for a while. But it's hard to maintain and it's hard to reconcile bacon and vodka for dinner when you decide at the tender age of 33 that your liver is something you might want to take better care of.

So I was emailing JJ about deciding to just try to eat "clean food" instead. You can't really get fat on salad provided you don't pour a bunch of General Mills shit on top of it, right? Seems like it isn't really that hard. So my new criteria for putting food in my mouth is to ask:

"Was this food made by assholes?"

I think this should do it. By nature it will exclude anything over-processed and engineered with the deadly trio of sugar/fat/salt. It will also make eating meat from not-nice growers easy to exclude.

We'll see how this goes.

6 comments:

jen said...

That would have been a much better title for Michael Pollan's book instead of "in Defense of Foods".

sierra said...

I too think preservatives are the enemy!

4 months ago I started going to bootcamp 3 days a week and stopped eating processed food (for the first 4 weeks I also ate no refined flour or sugar and no alcohol). I'm still off white pasta because I can't not eat an entire pound of it. I've lost 30 lbs. Fucking amazing.

JJ said...

Me too! Unless *I* am the asshole who made it:

http://beandiet.blogspot.com/2009/08/new-spectator-sport.html

Iheartfashion said...

This is a brilliant strategy. I'm trying to employ it myself, although I could totally get fat on my own baked goods, so sugar is out as well.

Melissa said...

Making your own salad dressing is a great way to keep salads healthy! White Balsamic or Champaign vinegar with dijon mustard and a little Stevia is my lunch staple.

Decs said...

Melissa, I am with you. Except I skip a sweetener and add garlic and some lemon. The dijon helps emulsify the whole deal. Delicious.